[Openstack] [Cinder-backup]why use sha256 instead md5 in chunk based backup-driver

Muralidhar Balcha muralidharb at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 15:38:53 UTC 2017

Hi,
The probability of collision with MD5 is more compared to SHA256 based message digests. Even SHA128 is not strong enough and most dedupe engines use SHA256 based message digest.

Obviously if there is a collision, the incremental backup may not capture modified data which result in corrupt data backups.

Murali Balcha