[Openstack] [networking-sfc] Question about use-case when SF is shared between multiple users

Artem Plakunov artacc at lvk.cs.msu.su
Mon Sep 12 15:04:49 UTC 2016

Hello.
I have a question about sharing one service function between multiple
users.
Let's say there is a function which requires exactly two interfaces,
ingress and egress, and is designed to serve multiple users through
these interfaces.
There are a number of users who want to use this function between their
vm and the Internet. For users it should be as transparent as possible,
i.e. vm's IP address should not change and no new interfaces should be
created. Each user has his own independent tenant, so I cannot just put
all user vms into the SF's network.

Problem is, when I connect user's network and SF's network by a router
or vm and setup networking-sfc, packets cannot reach SF because source
vm is in a different network. If I include this router or vm into the
chain, I need to setup default gateway and SNAT on it, but I'd like to
avoid it. How do I use networking-sfc in this case?