[Openstack] cloud-init dependency rsyslog conflict

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Fri Sep 2 20:19:55 UTC 2016

On Sep 2, 2016, at 3:03 PM, Satish Patel wrote:

> How do i remove rsyslog and install syslong-ng? its throwing
> dependency error "rsyslog is needed by (installed)
> cloud-init-0.7.5-10.el7.centos.1.x86_64"

The most common (?) reason for a package to depend on another, is
that it uses the other packages (the one it depends on) files or
commands in some way.

In this case, I'm guessing (!) that cloud-init uses "something"
from the rsyslog package.

These dependencies are almost never wrong. They've chosen with
great care. But it DO happen (but as I said, very rarely!).

Don't know which in this case, you need to try to figure out
why cloud-init depends on rsyslog to best figure out what to
do next.

But if I could hazard a guess (but don't take my word for it without
investigating for yourself!!) is that you can disable rsyslogd init
script (i.e. leaving it installed, just not started) and install
syslog-ng from source (i.e., not from a package!).

If you try to FORCE install a package (a simple procedure - TO simple :),
you will end up with a package dependency problem that will bite you
every time you need to upgrade/update! So best is to install from
source tarball.
--
Michael Jackson is not going to buried or cremated
but recycled into shopping bags so he can remain white,