[Openstack] UnsupportedVersion Endpoint does not support RPC version

Oisin O'Malley oisin.omalley at iocane.com.au
Thu Oct 27 01:12:23 UTC 2016

Thanks John,

> I think it may be your API version. See here: https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/2014.2/nova/compute/rpcapi.py#L270

There seems to be a discrepancy in the rpcapi.py "kilo" alias between the Kilo and Liberty releases. In the Kilo release the compute alias is "kilo=3.40" but in Liberty it is "kilo=4.0". Setting the compute API version to 4.0 on the Kilo compute node or removing it entirely appears to resolve the issue. Though has either caused or led to another issue.

I've testing and can live migrate from Kilo -> Liberty compute nodes, but fails on migrating from  Liberty -> Kilo. I suspect another API version issue. With compute API level pined to 4.0 across all Nova nodes,  the following error is raised in the Liberty Nova compute nodes log when I try live migrate from Liberty to Kilo;

   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/oslo_messaging/rpc/dispatcher.py", line 142, in _dispatch_and_reply
     executor_callback))
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/oslo_messaging/rpc/dispatcher.py", line 186, in _dispatch
     executor_callback)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/oslo_messaging/rpc/dispatcher.py", line 129, in _do_dispatch
     result = func(ctxt, **new_args)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/nova/exception.py", line 89, in wrapped
     payload)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/oslo_utils/excutils.py", line 195, in __exit__
     six.reraise(self.type_, self.value, self.tb)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/nova/exception.py", line 72, in wrapped
     return f(self, context, *args, **kw)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/nova/compute/manager.py", line 400, in decorated_function
     return function(self, context, *args, **kwargs)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/nova/compute/manager.py", line 378, in decorated_function
     kwargs['instance'], e, sys.exc_info())
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/oslo_utils/excutils.py", line 195, in __exit__
     six.reraise(self.type_, self.value, self.tb)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/nova/compute/manager.py", line 366, in decorated_function
     return function(self, context, *args, **kwargs)
 TypeError: live_migration() takes exactly 7 arguments (6 given)

There appears to of been a few bugs raised previously for this. The 4.2 API version of live_migration with 7 parameters appears to be getting called with the 6 parameters from API version 4.0. I'm not sure why.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1595864
I've unsuccessful tried the suggestion in the above and restarted all nova-conductor services to no effect.

Any suggestions?

Oisin O'Malley
Systems Engineer
Iocane Pty Ltd