[Openstack] Reverse proxy component

Jose Manuel Ferrer Mosteiro jmferrer.paradigmatecnologico at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 09:59:57 UTC 2016

You are right. This is the schema:

                                          |        OPENSTACK

+----------+      +---------------+      |

|          |      |               |      |      +-------------+

| internet +----->+ reverse_proxy +------------>| floating_ip |

|          |      |               |      |      +---+---------+

+----------+      +---------------+      |          |

                                          |          |

                                          |      +-------+

                                          |      |lb_vip |

                                          |      +----+--+

                                          |           |

                                          |      +--------+

                                          |      |servers |

                                          |      |        |-+

                                          |      +--------+ |

                                          |        |        |

                                          |        +--------+

A lot of enterprises use only a ip address to expose al the websites so
they use a reverse proxy as "router" using "virtualhosts".

lbaas works inside openstack very well. I want more or less the same
outside openstack.

With Designate and Heat I can create a register with the floating ip of
the balanced service vip:

   webpage_record:
     type: OS::Designate::Record
     properties:
       name: webpage.example.com.
       type: A
       domain: example.com.
       data: { get_attr: [webpage_lb_vip_floating_ip,
floating_ip_address] }

I want to add a route in the reverse_proxy so I want something like:

   webpage_reverse_proxy:
     type: OS::ReverseProxy::VirtualHost
     properties:
       external_name: webpage.example.com.