[Openstack] Trove MySQL v5.[67] images?

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Mon Oct 10 17:33:29 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Turbo Fredriksson's message of 2016-10-10 10:52:59 +0100:
> On Oct 10, 2016, at 3:19 AM, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
>
> > On 10/10/16 06:36, Clint Byrum wrote:
> >> Plenty of examples here:
> >>
> >> http://codesearch.openstack.org/?q=guestagent&i=nope&files=&repos=
> >
> > Thanks Clint - and I do see your point. The link you posted *is* useful and helpful!
>

> What .. pisses me of most is that everyone seem to be a politician here.
> I.e., answering a question I did not ask!
>
> I did not ask for help to install devstack, nor did I ask help to configure
> Trove..
>
> I asked if anyone had a (working, non-devstack) image that they could share,
> because I wasn't sure if it was my setup or my image(s)..
>
> And I don't understand why people STILL insist on trying to 'help' me setup
> everything.. Until I (know!) I have an image that [should] work, then I still
> don't know if my configuration is correct or if there's a bug..
>
> But for the record, I've followed and read almost everything there is to read
> about Trove, and as far as I can tell, my configuration [of Trove] is correct.
>

> Now, if I'm doing something 'illegal' (i.e., NOT using or wanting devstack),
> then I suggest that something like
>
>     The Trove team will in no way help you with installing, configuring or
>     help you with getting Trove to work if you're not using devstack.
>
> is put in big letters on the Trove 'front page'.

I don't think anyone should use devstack for anything except developing
openstack. It's not for anything else.

> Don't want to help me, fine. That's your prerogative (this is Opensource and
> everyone provide their own, personal time - not a problem), but then don't
> 'help' me with things I did not ask for. I have other things to do than justifying
> my life and the choices I make in it.
>
> Everyone is free to choose how they do things, and I'm F'n _demand_ the right
> to things _my_ way!!

We're just trying to point out that you're taking the hardest possible
approach, and many of us who had to go down that road before, would like
to stop spending time assisting anyone who is unnecessarily repeating
our work.

I'm glad you are here, and want to learn OpenStack. But I think you're
missing the point. OpenStack isn't about the code, or configuring it,
or any of that. It's about the people who need clouds having a place to
collaborate and keep the momentum going forward together.

Doing it your way means losing all of that momentum, and some of us
are plenty busy even standing on the shoulders of the giants who came
before us. So I'm sorry that we're annoying you by not helping you re-do
work that is already done and working fine. I get that you want to
learn, but I'd rather help people learn how to go _forward_.