[Openstack] sync power states and externally shut off VMs

Gustavo Randich gustavo.randich at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 21:26:21 UTC 2016

When a VM is shutdown without using nova API (kvm process down, libvirt
failed to start instance on host boot, etc.), Openstack "freezes" the
shutdown power state in the DB, and then re-applies it if the VM is not
started via API, e.g.:

# virsh shutdown <domain>

[ sync power states -> stop instance via API ], because hypervisor rules
("power_state is always updated from hypervisor to db")

# virsh startup <domain>

[ sync power states -> stop instance via API ], because database rules

I understand this behaviour is "by design", but I'm confused about the
asymmetry: if VM is shutdown without using nova API, should I not be able
to start it up again without nova API?

This is a common scenario in power outages or failures external to
Openstack, when VMs fail to start and we need to start them up again using
virsh.

Thanks!