[Openstack] Neutron Service Chains with Linux Bridge?

CARVER, PAUL pc2929 at att.com
Mon Nov 14 14:37:46 UTC 2016

Michael Gale [mailto:gale.michael at gmail.com] wrote:

>Does anyone know if the work for Neutron Service Chains supports environments built with Linux Bridge as the Neutron ML2 driver?

I don’t think it’s possible. I’m not aware of any document that says Linux Bridge doesn’t support modifications to its forwarding tables, but I think that’s for the same reason that it’s unlikely that a car’s owner’s manual is unlikely to mention that you can’t seal the doors and use it for deep sea exploration. It’s not at all a use case the designers expected.

Service chaining is all about manipulating the forwarding tables in order to override the normal “forward via most direct path to destination” behavior. It relies on the dataplane having a standard, documented and designed/intended mechanism for manipulating the forwarding tables in arbitrary (or at least fairly flexible) ways. I don’t believe Linux Bridge was designed with any intention to allow external software to manipulate its forwarding behavior on a per packet/per destination basis.

OvS and several other dataplanes are explicitly designed with the expectation and interface for an external controller to manipulate the forwarding in rich and flexible ways.