[Openstack] Does compute node require provider network?

Neil Jerram neil at tigera.io
Thu May 19 08:20:20 UTC 2016

If you attach a VM to a provider network - instead of to a tenant network -
and give it an Internet-routable fixed IP address, it can access the
Internet without any NAT.  This has been the case for several OpenStack
releases.

Now that Neutron has address scopes, I believe it will soon be the case
that a Neutron virtual router will avoid NAT when forwarding traffic
between networks with the same address scope.  That means that it should
soon be possible for VMs attached to tenant networks to access the Internet
without any NAT, too.

Regards,
   Neil