[Openstack] Openstack Heat for normal users?

Pavlo Shchelokovskyy pshchelokovskyy at mirantis.com
Tue May 17 16:25:14 UTC 2016

Hi Florian,

great to hear that your problem is solved.

As I pointed out, in Liberty you actually do not need the
"heat_stack_owner" role at all. Just make sure that in your heat.conf the
following option is set to empty value (which AFAIK is default in Liberty):

# Subset of trustor roles to be delegated to heat. If left unset, all roles
of
# a user will be delegated to heat when creating a stack. (list value)
      trusts_delegated_roles =

(that's new line right after after "=", for oslo_cfg to parse empty
ListOpt).

At some point, heat_stack_owner role was used by default as a single role
to be passed via trust, but now we can pass all roles at once without a
need of a special role.

So to avoid future confusion, you can consider deleting the
heat_stack_owner role and strictly advise people to not use heat_stack_user
role for actual (human) OpenStack users (this one is internal for Heat).
You could also rename that role to anything less confusing (like
"heat_internal_do_not_use" :) ) and reconfigure heat.conf and heat's
policy.json to use that name as a role for Heat-internal users.

Cheers,

Dr. Pavlo Shchelokovskyy
Senior Software Engineer
Mirantis Inc