[Openstack] [Fuel] Can we use different compute nodes with different capacity?

Nasir Mahmood nasir.mahmood at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 09:23:33 UTC 2016

Alexandr,

I would suggest you to give it a try. Having different capacity Compute
Nodes is normal, as far as your compute requirements are not beyond
 hardware capacity. mostly when you start spinning VMs, reason of the VM is
more important ( like how much cpu cycles does it need and how much memory
is required ) remember disk storage is always a layered approach, you can
provision a vm simple having space from the compute node an or it may have
anything like dedicated storage using swift, sinder etc.

I had setup an OpenStack POC for one of the clients with completely scarce
compute nodes like 1 VMWARE physical machine running Controller + Network +
Compute Node ( with 12 Cores dedicated + 12 GB RAM and 2 TB Of storage from
VMWARE disks ) , then 1 Pentium-4 hardware machine  ( with 2 GB of RAM, 1
physical processor ,  this could only run a single VM ) and then DELL R750
( with 24 Cores, 64 GB RAM, 5 TB of Disk storage , used to spin 15 normal
VMs and 10 high CPU demanding VMs ) and all was setup to make things
combined, no matter what underlying hardware was.

I suppose you also know about Over committing in OpenStack for both CPU and
memory. ( in KILO it was 16:1 for CPU and 1.5:1 for memory )

SRV-IO is another part to play for PCI related over committing

Regards,
Nasir Mahmood

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 1:31 PM, Alexandr Porunov <
alexandr.porunov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to use totally different compute nodes for different purposes. Is
> it normal practice?
>
> Also, if I have a server with a lot of RAM and a lot of disk space is it
> normal practice to install swift and nova on this server to use maximum of
> the server? Application will use only RAM and storage will use only disks.
>
> Sincerely, Alexandr

Nasir Mahmood