[Openstack] Key management

Clark, Robert Graham robert.clark at hpe.com
Tue Mar 29 16:23:27 UTC 2016

Hi Jagger,

In it's default configuration, OpenStack doesn't have a lot of 'keys' in the traditional cryptographic
sense. Although it certainly has a lot of sensitive credentials sprayed about the place in flat files.

To address key management specifically, you should take a look at the Barbican project[1], this is
designed to make handling cryptographic keys (and other sensitive primitives) safe and easy to
do within OpenStack.

As for the rest of OpenStack, it's really down to your distribution to appropriately secure system files.
Many distributors will use a combination of mandatory and discretionary access controls (MAC & DAC)
to limit access to on-disk credentials. Typically managing their lifetime through some deployment
configuration tool such as Ansible, Salt, Chef, Puppet etc.

Personally I've been experimenting with some more real-time management of system level credentials
using etcd. However that's early days.

-Rob

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Barbican