[Openstack] How should I spawn an instance using ceph

yang sheng forsaks.30 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 16:30:26 UTC 2016

Hi All

I am new to openstack. I just deployed Openstack liberty using ceph as
cinder and glance backend.

I have some images (raw format, about 10G) in glance (stored in ceph).

I tried 2 different methods to spawn the instance.

Because my image size are huge. If I want to spawn an instance by using
creating a volume from an image and boot from that volume, (
http://docs.openstack.org/user-guide/cli_nova_launch_instance_from_volume.html)
cinder-volume will download entire image from glance (also in the ceph).
Instance will in error status after about 3 minutes (internal time-out
mechanism?), saying block device mapping problem. However, my cinder is
still creating the volume (  It will take 10 minutes for cinder to upload,
download the image and create volume).

So I came up with another method. I create a volume from glance first (also
10 minutes). If I want to spawn an new  instance, I just clone that volume
(it is instant). Then boot from that volume directly.

My glance and cinder are using the same ceph cluster (different pools).

I download some images from openstack (
http://docs.openstack.org/image-guide/obtain-images.html). Since their size
are not that large, most are no more than 1G, it is fine to use the first
method.

Just wondering why cinder-volume has to download the image. Is there anyway
to bypass this process? Or can ceph handle this internally?

thanks for any advise!