[Openstack] DHCP + vlan

Qin, Xiaohong Xiaohong.Qin at emc.com
Tue Mar 22 18:43:51 UTC 2016

The problem here is not VLAN but subnet. Normally you have one subnet associate with one interface (Ethernet interface), if you want multiple interfaces listen to the same DHCP server, you need to configure the multiple interfaces on the same subnet since one DHCP server can only broadcast to one subnet. But to configure multiple interfaces on the same subnet, you will run into other problems. Say you have the following configuration hypothetically on  your server,

int1: 192.168.10.100
Int2: 192.168.10.101

They both sit on the same subnet 192.168.10.0/24 or 255.255.255.0, when the traffic goes out from this server to outside, it will be confused to use which interface since both will take the same path from hop to hop, so you have a potential loop here.

Dennis Qin (aka Xiaohong Qin)