[Openstack] [cloudkitty] usage documentation

Steve Schmerler elcortogm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 17:28:41 UTC 2016

Hi all

We're currently testing cloudkitty in devstack, which works pretty good.
So far, we have been following the available documentation [1-2], which
seems to deal with installation mainly.

We are in the process of replacing our billing solution and while at it,
we're planning to replace our custom ceilometer -- billing system bridge
with cloudkitty. For all we know, cloudkitty is supposed to become the
openstack component for that purpose exactly.

The only usage examples we could make out are demo videos at the summit
such as [3], which focus on GUI interaction. However, our use case is
the automation of rating, i.e. fetch ceilometer data, squeeze through a
rating tool (cloudkitty) and feed transformed data to the billing
system.

Is that one of the intended use cases of cloudkitty? If so, where do we
find documentation about the usage of rating modules and the system in
general? So far, cloudkitty looks very promising, but unfortunately,
usage documentation is somewhat sparse at the moment, as it seems.
Thank you for any hints.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/CloudKitty
[2] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/cloudkitty/
[3] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hou187R_G_E