[Openstack] Which storage is the best for temporary store?

Kuo Hugo tonytkdk at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 04:15:29 UTC 2016

Hi Alexandr,

The OpenStack Swift is a good choice as permanent storage pool for your
video case.
As for temporary storage media in your case, Swift could be an option. But
you need to consider several factors.

   - How will user upload video to your site ?
   - How’s the speed do you need to store video chunks into temporary tier
   ?
   - What protocol is supported to store video by your application ?
   - Does your transformation server pull the data to it’s memory/local
   media to process ?
   - How many data will you have in your estimation ?
   - How’s the size of each video ingeneral ?

Here’s a list of benefit by using Swift as both temporary & permanent
storage pool :

   - User can upload video to Swift directly via HTTP. No need an
   additional server between your Swift pool and client.
   - Swift has built-in function for authentication/authorization.
   - If you’d like to move video cross temporary and permanent locations,
   it could be done in swift’s internal network.
   - The metadata can associate with object itself.
   - HTTP protocol gives high flexibility for various ways.
   - No video size limitation.
   - You can have 2 copies policy for temporary tier and 3 copies for
   permanent tier to get better data availability and durability.

Here’s a list of potential weaknesses for temporary tier :

   - If your transformation server needs to edit data online and change
   bits on each chunk, it’s not good for Swift.

If the temporary tier doesn’t need too much space (lower than 3TB), you can
just use several high speed disks as a raid0 pool to have nice IOPs.

Regard // Hugo
​