[Openstack] Using multiple compute drivers in Nova?

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Fri Jun 24 23:22:33 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Turbo Fredriksson's message of 2016-06-24 22:50:40 +0100:
> The page http://docs.openstack.org/mitaka/config-reference/compute/hypervisors.html
> states:
>
>   Most installations use only one hypervisor. However, you can use
>   ComputeFilter and ImagePropertiesFilter to schedule different
>   hypervisors within the same installation.
>
> I have both those set, but the "compute_driver" is used to choose
> the driver. This is a string, so only one option is available.
>
> How do I use more than one?

If you want to use different compute drivers on one machine, you need
to run two copies of nova-compute on that machine.

You may get some insanity on the resource tracker though, as they'll both
think they have access to the same pool of resources, leading to double
resource availability and likely a lot of failed spawns when the box
gets full.

One has to ask though... what two hypervisors are you wanting to use on
the same box?