[Openstack] [HELP]- VM on private network not able to ping private router on Compute Node

Upadhyay, Manish Manish.Upadhyay at anz.com
Mon Jun 20 16:19:23 UTC 2016

OpenStack: Mitaka
Linux: RHEL 7.2

Hello Team,

    I have setup OpenStack mitaka distribution on RHEL 7 box. I setup One Controller node and one compute node with Networking 2 option (Self Service Networks) using Linux bridge. I can spin up VM in both subnets but VM in private self-service network is not getting IP assigned where as VM in provider networks are getting IP

    To be more specific. We have created 2 networks (public, private) public is external network. If we launch any VM in public network vm are getting launched and getting IP's and pingable however if we launch a VM in private network VM it is not getting private ip assigned . To resole this issue we installed DHCP agent on compute node now VM is able to get IP but this VM is not able to ping anything except its own. If we ping the private router gateway it says "destination host unreachable"

        Only thing we see is below when we launch instance. Its not able to see the metadata as well.

[[32m OK [0m] Started OpenSSH server daemon.
cloud-init[721]: ci-info: +++++++++++++++++++++++Net device info+++++++++++++++++++++++
cloud-init[721]: ci-info: +--------+------+-----------+-----------+-------------------+
cloud-init[721]: ci-info: | Device | Up | Address | Mask | Hw-Address |
cloud-init[721]: ci-info: +--------+------+-----------+-----------+-------------------+
cloud-init[721]: ci-info: | lo: | True | 127.0.0.1 | 255.0.0.0 | . |
cloud-init[721]: ci-info: | eth0: | True | . | . | fa:16:3e:fb:27:88 |
cloud-init[721]: ci-info: +--------+------+-----------+-----------+-------------------+
cloud-init[721]: 2016-06-18 03:42:54,582 - url_helper.py[WARNING]: Calling 'http://169.254.169.254/2009-04-04/meta-data/instance-id' failed [0/120s]: request error [[Errno 101] Network is unreachable]
[[32m OK [0m] Started Postfix Mail Transport Agent.
cloud-init[721]: 2016-06-18 03:42:55,585 - url_helper.py[WARNING]: Calling 'http://169.254.169.254/2009-04-04/meta-data/instance-id' failed [1/120s]: request error [[Errno 101] Network is unreachable]
cloud-init[721]: 2016-06-18 03:42:56,587 - url_helper.py[WARNING]: Calling 'http://169.254.169.254/2009-04-04/meta-data/instance-id' failed [2/120s]: request error [[Errno 101] Network is unreachable]
cloud-init[721]: 2016-06-18 03:42:57,589 - url_helper.py[WARNING]: Calling 'http://169.254.169.254/2009-04-04/meta-data/instance-id' failed [3/120s]: request error [[Errno 101] Network is unreachable]
cloud-init[721]: 2016-06-18 03:42:58,592 - url_helper.py[WARNING]: Calling 'http://169.254.169.254/2009-04-04/meta-data/instance-id' failed [4/120s]: request error [[Errno 101] Network is unreachable]

Regards
Manish

This e-mail and any attachments to it (the "Communication") is, unless otherwise stated, confidential, may contain copyright material and is for the use only of the intended recipient. If you receive the Communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete the Communication and the return e-mail, and do not read, copy, retransmit or otherwise deal with it. Any views expressed in the Communication are those of the individual sender only, unless expressly stated to be those of Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited ABN 11 005 357 522, or any of its related entities including ANZ Bank New Zealand Limited (together "ANZ"). ANZ does not accept liability in connection with the integrity of or errors in the Communication, computer virus, data corruption, interference or delay arising from or in respect of the Communication.