[Openstack] Create instance fails on creating block device - Block Device Mapping is Invalid

Eugen Block eblock at nde.ag
Mon Jun 20 14:27:41 UTC 2016

> Can't start any instances because I can't create volumes

Can't you boot an instance without cinder? You could edit nova.conf to
use local file system, just to have a running instance. If that works
you can switch to another backend.

> How do i do that from the shell?

cinder create --image <IMAGE-ID> --name <NAME> <SIZE>

>> Do you see the iscsi session on your compute node?
>
> No.

Try debugging your iscsi connection, maybe first without openstack. If
you aren't able to login to a session then openstack will also fail, I
guess...

In my environment, I first tried to get all services running and
working without external backends, cinder, glance and nova all ran on
local storage. Then I tried other backends for cinder (iscsi), now all
services use ceph.