[Openstack] neutron, l2population, linuxbridge and multiple ips

Joerg Streckfuss openstack at dirtyhack.org
Sat Jun 18 16:52:34 UTC 2016

Dear list,

I'm trying set up an isolated network for testing clustermanagers like
keepalived on linux and carp on openbsd. This means there are ips which
are bound to multiple ports. The main problem is when I try to configure
new ip-addresses inside the vms and _not_ in neutron, these ips are not
visible by the other vms. When I try to ping this ips I can see an local
arp request inside the bridge of the requesting vm but this request does
not reach the bridge of the destination vm. So my assumption is neutron
in particular the l2population works only for ip addresses which are
known by neutron ports. So in case of disabling dhcp I have to configure
it for the neutron port and inside the vm, right?

My setup is a 4-node openstack environment (one controller, three
compute nodes), using liberty on centos7 carefully following the
instructions under http://docs.openstack.org/liberty/install-guide-rdo/.

I'm using self-service networks with one flat provider-network for
external communication. I use VXLAN for overlay-networks. As mechanism
drivers I use linuxbridge and l2population.

The isolated network and the vms are initiated by heat templates. I
disabled port security for each neutron port by setting
'port_security_enabled: false' inside the heat template.

So what can I do, that a neutron isolated network behaves like a
standard linuxbridge or especially a hardware switch, where no port
security is configured and which forwards all kind of arp traffic?

Thanks in advance,

Joerg