[Openstack] Nova and Magnum on the same host?

Tomas Vondra vondra at czech-itc.cz
Thu Jun 16 12:51:52 UTC 2016

Turbo Fredriksson <turbo at ...> writes:

> On Jun 9, 2016, at 11:55 AM, Ricardo Carrillo Cruz wrote:
>
> > https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Docker
>
> I'm trying this and although I know very little of OS (and I haven't
> managed to boot up my first container yet because of other issues), I
> have the docker entry in the web GUI "Admin -> System -> Hypervisors".
>
> Looking at the nova.conf file, I see:
>
>   compute_driver = novadocker.virt.docker.DockerDriver
>
> It doesn't seem like I'm able to have multiple entries there. As in:
>
>   compute_driver = novadocker.virt.docker.DockerDriver,libvirt
>
> However, libvirt is defined in nova-compute.conf:
>
>   [DEFAULT]
>   compute_driver=libvirt.LibvirtDriver
>   neutron_ovs_bridge=br-int
>   [libvirt]
>   virt_type=kvm
>   vif_driver=nova.virt.libvirt.vif.LibvirtGenericVIFDriver
>   use_virtio_for_bridges=true
>   # This may be needed for
>   #cpu_mode=host-passthrough
>
> And I can't set:
>
>   nova-compute.conf
>     [docker]
>     compute_driver = novadocker.virt.docker.DockerDriver,libvirt
>
>   nova.conf
>     compute_driver = docker
>
> then I get:
>
>   2016-06-15 14:28:22.708 1764 INFO nova.virt.driver [-] Loading compute
driver 'docker'
>   2016-06-15 14:28:22.708 1764 CRITICAL nova [-] ValueError: Empty module name
> What am I missing?

Hi!
You are on the wrong track. The compute_driver option must contain exatcly
one Python class name that the nova compute process will import. You cannot
have two drivers in one process. If you want to try having libvirt and
docker on on compute node, you will have to run two separate processes.

And I do not know how the nova_docker driver works, but I bet you will run
into other problems, like the two nova-compute processes trying to create
network objects (brigdes, iptables rules) and colliding.

Best of luck experimenting.
Tomas