[Openstack] Neutron networking in ten sentences?

Kevin Benton kevin at benton.pub
Thu Jun 16 01:16:06 UTC 2016

>So where do the routers and "ports" come into this?

So routers are just like normal routers in that they attach to multiple
networks and route between them. Ports are the basic unit that represent
access to a network. A VM can have an arbitrary number of ports attached to
different networks and each will have its own IP, MAC address, security
groups, etc.

>And into the real network?

It depends on how you have Neutron configured. Neutron networks can
correspond to VLANs, VXLAN tunnels, GRE tunnels, or even just a direct
mapping to an interface on the host (so no encapsulation).

I think the configuration you need will depend quite a bit on what topology
you want to have. If you just want a bunch of pre-configured networks that
map to real VLANs in your datacenter, then you want to setup what we refer
to as "provider networks":
http://docs.openstack.org/mitaka/networking-guide/scenario-provider-ovs.html

In general, I would suggest a read through of the basics and some of the
scenarios in the networking guide: