[Openstack] heat: assign a port to instance without ip address

openstack at dirtyhack.org openstack at dirtyhack.org
Wed Jun 15 08:34:26 UTC 2016

Dear lists,

i setup an instance with heat, which is accessible per ssh. So fine so
good. But this instance should have more network interfaces with
dedicated virtual networks.

i tried to assign a port to an instance without assigning an ip address.
But neutron does this always beginning with the first available
subnet address.

I tried to setup the network without a subnet but then heat complains
that it needs a fixed address:

<snip>
ERROR heat.engine.resource ResourceFailure: BadRequest:
resources.instance_fw_int_master.resources.instance_fw_int: Port
94954e9b-3847-40e0-8bce-a71f648e5cf9 requires a FixedIP in order to be used.
<snap>

I really do not need the layer3 stuff like dhcp and so on. A layer 2,
like a switch/bridge is almost sufficient. Configuring ip addressing
will be done with saltstack

My Setup is a 3-node (one
controller, two compute nodes) setup on CentOS 7 with Openstack Liberty.
I setup neutron with self-service networks option using Linux-Bridge.

Regards,

Joerg