[Openstack] [oslo] Issues with pbr when building custom packages

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Jun 9 18:25:22 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-09 08:16:11 +1000 (+1000), Sam Morrison wrote:
[...]
> I'm packaging nova, we have a bunch of custom commits and extra
> back ports in our version. Having the git hash in there is
> extremely helpful and I also don't want to conflict with the
> official openstack release.
[...]

I don't know whether it helps for your case, but the solution PBR
implemented for that when it switched to PEP-440+semver (prior to
that PBR _did_ include abbreviated Git SHAs in our version strings)
was to store it in Python packaging metadata and add a separate
command-line tool to list it. If the pbr library is installed into
your environment, it includes an executable "pbr" entrypoint with a
"freeze" subcommand with output similar to pip freeze except
indicating the abbreviated Git SHAs included from the pbr.json file
in each corresponding egg-info tree as an inline comment.
--
Jeremy Stanley