[Openstack] Nova and Magnum on the same host?

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Wed Jun 8 07:51:33 UTC 2016

My use-case require me to have Containers for certain rings
and real VMs for others.

But I also want to utilize my hardware to max, while keeping
the electricity bill (and cooling) as low as possible. This
means that I need (want!) to run both the VMs and the Containers
on the same host.

I've just started with Openstack, so I have _many_ questions,
and this is the first one: Can I run both Nova (full VMs) and
Magnum (Containers) on the same physical host?

As in, will Openstack realize that the physical host is full
(with mixed VMs and Containers) so that it will start filling
the next physical machine? Because I'm assuming that's what it
does, realize that there's no more "space" (resources) left
on the host and know that it can't put any new instance on there,
but need to start filling another one.

Or does it just throw the instances out randomly on physical
nodes?
--
As soon as you find a product that you really like,
they will stop making it.