[Openstack] NTP client in guest not reaching NTP server in host (Neutron/DVR)

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hpe.com
Thu Jul 21 18:44:57 UTC 2016

On 07/21/2016 09:45 AM, Gustavo Randich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With nova-network, we were running NTP in guests against an NTP server
> in the host (following this
> <http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/FAQ#I.27m_experiencing_timer_drift_issues_in_my_VM_guests.2C_what_to_do.3F> advice).
>
> Now tih Neutron/DVR, we are not reaching NTP in the host because it is
> listening on interfaces of the root namespace.
>
> Some insight on this?

I rather doubt that Neutron/DVR has things setup to enable accessing the
host directly from the VMs.  That isn't often considered a good thing to
do, per my understanding.  You could try packet tracing the external VM
network to see that the NTP requests from the guests are going-out that way.

At that point, presumably it would be a matter of having the
infrastructure router be willing to route back to the management network.

Otherwise, having the guests get time from some different "external"
sources would seem to be in order.

rick jones