[Openstack] UDP issues?

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Mon Jul 18 21:43:18 UTC 2016

Hey, all.  We're trying to track down some UDP fragmentation issues, and
I'm trying to fully grasp exactly what goes on.  The tool I'm using is
"iperf."  My first confusion is that when I point iperf (client) to a
host behind a floating IP, that simply doesn't work.  Any ideas what the
issue is, and how to get around it?

Next up is this that when I have to VMs talk to each other -- on the
same subnet, using "iperf -c 172.23.244.169 -u -b 100m" -- I wind up
with this:
[  3] Sent 85471 datagrams
[  3] WARNING: did not receive ack of last datagram after 10 tries.

When I go from physical machine to physical machine, it works great,
even though a few datagrams are received out-of-order.  But a flat-out
missing packet does sound a bit like the issue I'm having.

Additionally, I'd really like a tool that would allow me to set packet
size for UDP tests; I've poked around, but haven't really found
anything.  If anyone has a suggestion, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

-Ken