[Openstack] add existing instance to nova scheduler server group

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Mon Jul 18 15:01:44 UTC 2016

On 07/15/2016 06:03 PM, Frank Ritchie wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible with the OpenStack or Nova CLI to add an existing instance to an
> existing Nova Scheduler
> server group?

No.  This has been proposed a number of times over the years but has never been
accepted.  I believe the problem is mainly how to handle the case where the
instance does not currently meet the scheduling policy of the group.

> If not, is there any harm in manually adding the instance to the server group in
> the database?

There's more than one thing that needs to be modified in the database if you
want to do it "right", so that things like migration/evacuation/resize work
properly.

Chris