[Openstack] Cells: *how* experimental?

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Fri Jan 29 06:20:33 UTC 2016

While Cells is marked as experimental, many of the large deployments are
using it in production (CERN has around 30 cells with 150K cores). The
ongoing work with Cells v2 will take this into the mainstream with the aim
that everyone runs Cells, only most clouds just need one. The Cells
functionality is tested in the gate (but is not blocking currently). There
are some functional restrictions (security groups do not work with the
mainline distribution, for example) which may be a problem.

Two regions is also an option but it does mean you have two cloud endpoints
and potentially some duplicated administration to do such as quotas and
flavors.

Tim

> OpenStack isn't designed to spread out a single "region" over high
latency,
> expensive WAN links.  You may want to split into two regions if your
facilities
> are far enough apart that they can't send quite a lot of traffic between
them.

> However, if you have some requirement to have everything under that one
> region, I can say that even in a 1000 hypervisor simulation I don't see
more
> than 100Mbit of traffic to the control plane that all of the nodes share.
I'd