[Openstack] [openstack-dev] [Neutron] [Docs] Definition of a provider Network

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 14:19:09 UTC 2016

I agree that the current definition can be improved.

"Provider Network" vs "Self service network" highlights who can
provision a network.

In my understanding, "Provider Network" is a network provisioned by
the cloud operator. Practically the operator cannot provision a network
for a tenant, so a single provider network is shared by tenants.

On the other hand, "Self-service network" scenario allows OpenStack users
to provision their own networks.

In the scenario of "provider network", a single network is shared by
multiple tenants.
and network-related Neutron API calls should be disallowed for tenants.
It is reasonable to disallow tenants to provision routers, firewalls
or VPNs as well.
LBaaS can be used.

I hope this helps improve the text.

Akihiro