[Openstack] dhcp to external device from openstack-dhcp on a vlan tenant network

iain smith iain at 3birds.co.uk
Fri Feb 26 16:33:20 UTC 2016

Hi all - I'm currently trying to get something working on my openstack
platform, wondering if anyone's come across this before.

On a VLAN tenant network, how can I allow an external device to pick up
a dhcp address from neutron's dhcp service (the dhcp service associated
with the subnet created in the tenant vlan network)?

- I'm using liberty, and have created some vlan networks as admin user,
and assigned them to the 'demo' project.
- logged in as demo, I've created a dhcp-enabled subnet in one of the
vlan networks, and a security group that allows hosts in the same subnet
to connect to openstack guests in that subnet.
- I've created some openstack guest VMs in the subnet - they came up ok
and picked up dhcp ip addresses. I can connect to these guests from an
external server on the same VLAN (a server outside of openstack). I can
connect to the external server from the openstack guest VMs. All as
expected.

What I'm trying to do is to get an external (non-openstack) device on
the same vlan to pick up a dhcp ip address from the openstack dhcp
service for that subnet. Using wireshark I can see the dhcp request
packets from my device, on the correct vlan, reaching my neutron network
node where the dnsmasq dhcp service is running, but there's never a
reply. I've tried putting wide-open ingress rules in the security group,
but haven't got it to work yet (I'm not actually sure if the security
group has any bearing at the subnet level as per AWS, or if it applies
only to guest VMs... looks to me like it just applies to VMs).

Anyone know what I need to do? I'll keep at it meantime

cheers
Iain