[Openstack] [Keystone] Dynamic RBAC policy please?

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Mon Feb 22 15:38:21 UTC 2016

On 02/19/2016 08:29 PM, Bruno L wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> Thank you for highlighting the different aspects of it. I'm aware that
> this is a journey with multiple steps along the way.
>
> From what we can see here in New Zealand, these are the kind of
> features that would propel the adoption of OpenStack by larger
> organisations.
>
> How is the cross project blueprint going? Are you getting traction
> with all PTLs?
>
> I wonder if a few mid-cycle meetings between the TC and PTLs would be
> useful to facilitate and ensure progress on important cross-project
> features like this.

It is a bit late for midcycles, but certainly on the top of the list for
the Austin summit.

I see RBAC going toward three tiers of roles:

The role you are assigned in your organization:  call this your position
The workflows you need to get done to perform the obligations of your
position:
The permissions you need to perform a specific workflow.

With implied roles, we can start building this structure.

I think the trickiest part to get right is going to be the lowest
level.   year or so ago, I pushed for unified policy file, and got a lot
of push back.  The ensuing discussions lead to two epiphanies:

1.  Matching the scope of the token to the scope of the resource (VM,
Network, image etc) is an engineering effort, and should be managed by
the core team.

2.  There is a certain base assumption about who should be performing an
action:  admin versus member.  The core teams want to be able to set the
expectation for an API accordingly.

However, my original reason for wanting a unified policy file stills
stands:  we need an overall inventory of API/Policy enforcement points
to be able to build up the overall structure.