[Openstack] Openstack + vmware storage architecture

Johan Borch johan.borch at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 20:29:45 UTC 2016

Hi list!

Don't know if this is the right list for this question, but I'll give it a
try.

I'm looking for some new innovative way for instance storage on vmware
compute nodes. Do anyone have suggestions on an vmware architecture that
don't involve huge monolithic SAN or Netapp alike devices? VSAN is quite
expensive and have to narrow hardware demands for my taste.

What I'm after is for example similar to the CEPH approach or maybe local
storage on each compute node, but local storage has the drawback that it do
not allow for easy maintenance of compute nodes (without shutting down
instances).

Are there any big deployments with openstack and vmware that has solved
their storage demand in a smart way they like to share? :)

Thanks
Johan