[Openstack] Guest networking and magic IP

Andre Goree andre at drenet.net
Wed Feb 17 21:14:48 UTC 2016

On 02/17/2016 6:02 am, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> Andre Goree <andre at ...> writes:
>
>> I am trying to determine how exactly I can manipulate traffic from a
>> _guest's_ NIC using iptables on the _host_.  On the host, there is a
>> bridged virtual NIC that corresponds to the guest's NIC.  That
>> interface
>> does not have an IP setup on it on the host, however within the vm
>> itself the IP is configured and everything works as expected.
>
> Hi!
> No IP on the interface does not prevent you from using iptables. The
> kernel
> filters any packets it sees. From what I remember from the OpenStack
> developers, you can't use iptables with OpenVSwitch, but attaching
> rules to
> a linux brcrl bridge should be perfectly fine.
> Tomas

Ugh, from what I've seen the packets from guest's interface do not even
reach the host's iptables.  I'm going to go through and setup the lab
multi-node environment again and see if I can drill down from there.  I
must be missing something.  From what I've seen, even logging everything
possible iptables (on the host) is not seeing any traffic exiting the
guest's interface.  I'll triple-check how exactly I'm determining that
too, given your response.  Thanks Tomas!

--
Andre Goree
Email     - andre at drenet.net
Website   - http://www.drenet.net