[Openstack] Root disk resize down

Chris Buccella chris.buccella at verilume.com
Wed Feb 10 00:09:34 UTC 2016

I don't think it's possible, or at least I haven't been able to resize down
for disk.

It isn't the size of the image that matters, but the virtual size of the
disk. If the flavor's disk is 10GB, and the image is 2GB, cloud-init will
try to expand the file system to the full 10GB on boot. That would prevent
resizing down to a flavor with a smaller disk size, even if you only have a
couple gigs of data on the disk.

I think the ceph driver disallows resizing down out of an abundance of
caution; it's too likely that data could be lost.

-Chris

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 6:00 AM, Mārtiņš Jakubovičs <martins-lists at hostnet.lv