[Openstack] Network monitoring in monasca

Tomas Vondra vondra at czech-itc.cz
Wed Feb 3 14:32:41 UTC 2016

Rubab Syed <rubab.syed21 at ...> writes:

> Hi there,
> I am doing a university project in OpenStack. The aim is to implement a
network monitoring framework in Monasca(Monitoring-as-a-service at scale).
In order to build it, I need to know the minimal features that the
networking guys would like to monitor so I'm just reaching out to people and
asking them. I'm a newbie in OpenStack and really want to contribute. Would
you be kind enough to tell me what monitoring features pop up in your head
when you hear cloud network monitoring(neutron in particular)?
> I would highly appreciate any input.
> Thanks.
> Regards,Rubab Syed

Hi Rubab,
AFAIK Monasca currently is a performance monitoring solution, so it monitors
only metrics, not events.

If you want to focus on networks, you can monitor packet counts and byte
counts per interface - that is router, VM, load balancer and such constructs.

I'm not a user of Monasca, so I don't know if that is not already
implemented, but hat I personally would find useful is if you built a
dashboard that would show the administrator the metrics of physical network
interfaces and all the virtual ones right beside it. And if you were at it,
you could do the same for CPU utilizations.

I'm currently using Ceilometer, which has no dashboards at all built in.
Tomas Vondra, for the purposes of this post affiliated with the Czech
Technical University