[Openstack] ref-stack and rally

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue Dec 6 15:08:18 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Richard Hill's message of 2016-12-05 22:31:54 +0100:
> I want  to run integration/system tests on a new openstack install and want
> to use tempest to do this.
>
> I am aware of two projects which packagethe  tempest framework making it
> easier to configure.
>
> rally

Rally _CAN_ use tempest, but it's not required. It runs its own set of
performance and load testing scenarios, one set of which is tempest. The
point of Rally is mostly to run the things you care about over and over
and with lots of parallelism and see if anything takes too long or
spikes load. It's a good capacity testing tool.

> refstack

Refstack is a wrapper around the tempest tests that any cloud should in
fact pass. You don't actually need it to test your own clouds, but it
does provide a UI for comparing interoperability if you have multiple
OpenStack clouds.

> To the uninitiated like myself the functionality they provide seem to
> overlap each other. What is the intended usage of each project?

You should probably just run tempest itself, with a blacklist or whitelist
to pick the tests you care about.