[Openstack] {Swift] On demand replication

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Mon Dec 5 16:41:13 UTC 2016

I'd suggest monitoring overall replications status with a combination of log monitoring and swift-dispersion-report. If you find something that is under-replicated, you can run the replicator process and give it a list of partitions to prioritize. http://docs.openstack.org/developer/swift/admin_guide.html#dispersion-report I'd recommend running dispersion report with 100% coverage.

However, your question implies that when an object is created it is not durable in the system. That's not the case. Swift will not return with a success unless the data has been durably persisted in the cluster (a quorum of writes). Quorum is determined per storage policy; in a replicated policy, quorum is half + 1 for odd numbers of replicas and half for even numbers of replicas. This means that when a client gets a 201 response to an object PUT request, that object has been stored at least 2 times in a 3-replica storage policy (and it's extraordinarily likely it was stored a full 3 times).

Let me know if you want more details about this.

--John