[Openstack] Creating regions...

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Sun Dec 4 14:21:34 UTC 2016

Hello, all.  I've got a geographically distributed Liberty install, and
I'm trying to set up a local glance repo for the remote site, without
going through everything involved in retroactively adding cells.  It
looks like regions might do what I want -- but there's DAMN little
documentation I can find.
1) I can't find exactly what they are (e.g., googling "openstack
regions" gives you links to OpenStack Docs "Architecture" and "Scaling",
but no here-is-what-regions-are-and-how-to-use-them document)
2) I can't find how to create them.  (Not entirely true. I found this
page:
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/python-openstackclient/command-objects/region.html
.  But when I upgraded to openstackclient 3.4.1 via pip so I'd have
version parity, there's no such thing:
gbadmin at openstack-cli:~ liberty(prod)$ openstack --version
openstack 3.4.1
gbadmin at openstack-cli:~ liberty(prod)$ openstack region list
openstack: 'region list' is not an openstack command. See 'openstack
--help'. )

Any pointers here?  I'd love to be able to have this done this weekend,
but I'm beginning to think it's simply not in the cards.

Thanks,

-Ken