[Openstack] [OpenStack] Kernel crashes when all the resources are consumed on compute

varun bhatnagar varun292006 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 20:28:52 UTC 2016

Hi,

I am using Openstack Mitaka with multi node deployment with 3 Controllers
and 4 computes. I am having 3 data centers with same setup and
configuration. I am facing problem while launching more number of instances.

On 1 data center when I launch 8 instances (this consumes all the
resources) on one compute a kernal crash is triggered. But on the other
hand when I do the same on other DCs then the instances run into an error
(when the resources are fully consumed) saying:

| fault                                | {"message": "Insufficient compute
resources: Free disk 28.00 GB < requested 30 GB.", "code": 500, "details":
"  File \"/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/nova/compute/manager.py\", line
1943, in _do_build_and_run_instance |
|                                      |     filter_properties)

The same is not happening on the DC where kernel is crashing.
Any suggestions on how to avoid kernel crashing and throw out "Insufficient
resources" message when the resources are fully consumed?

BR,
Varun