[Openstack] Guest VM IP configuration script

Andreas Scheuring scheuran at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Aug 25 07:22:05 UTC 2016

We faced a similar issue while doing some tests in the past.
In any case you need to use the config drive. This is the only way how
your instance can access the IP information required.

There seem to be 3 ways for doing the configuration

#1 There is some code for cloud-init in review [1], that would do that.
But that would need to be merged first, a new version release is
required and your distro needs to pick that release. I'm not sure about
the current state, but it seems to be still in review.

#2 Use Glean [2] instead of cloud-init. It's an alternative to
cloud-init. But of course your image needs to have glean installed and
configured.

#3 hack your own solution. We did that for our limited scenario. With
nova file inject we injected a larger python script, doing all the
configuration. We used cloud-init to execute that script (directly
passing that script in with cloud-init was not possible, as it was too
large - that's why this hack was required :P). I would not recommend
going this way, cause you need to consider all the things like routes
and so on.

I personally think the best solution is #2 for now.

[1]
https://code.launchpad.net/~harlowja/cloud-init/cloud-init-net-sysconfig
[2] http://docs.openstack.org/infra/glean/

--