[Openstack] Openstack CLI vs. individual component-client CLI (was: RE: openstack vs neutron CLI (mikata))

Kostiantyn.Volenbovskyi at swisscom.com Kostiantyn.Volenbovskyi at swisscom.com
Thu Aug 18 12:54:41 UTC 2016

Hi,
[Sean] By the looks of things though, one needs to go to the neutron CLI for certain things.
I think there is no easy-to-reach information on OpenStack Client.

If we assume that OpenStack client version is tied to OpenStack release [which is common use case for end users].
I think the situation is as follows (don’t hesitate to correct/add):

Nova: Most of support by Mitaka, full support targeted for Newton.
Neutron: Full support targeted for Newton
Keystone: Full support by Kilo
Cinder: most of support by Liberty, full: targeted for Newton
Glance: full support by Liberty
Swift: full support by Mitaka

1)    If above is correct - whether (<current>) CLI guide should contain OpenStack client commands for Nova/Neutron and Cinder by time of Newton release?

Well, documentation seems to be not very consistent.

Assumption should be that Nova/Neutron/Cinder are not supposed to be primarily used with OpenStack CLI client yet with Mitaka (/OSC 2.2.0)?

But for example Glance partly has command examples in UG (but not in cheat-sheet [1] ), but Swift is described using Swift client [3] in UG

2)    I suspect that non-core services are not covered by [2].

Example of that is Heat where Heat CLI will be deprecated by Newton [4] but [2] is not describing that.

BR,
Konstantin

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/user-guide/cli-cheat-sheet.html
[2] http://docs.openstack.org/releasenotes/python-openstackclient/index.html