[Openstack] openstack vs neutron CLI (mikata)

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 11:31:58 UTC 2016

> Thanks Darek, being new to openstack your links help me understand the situation much better.
>
> The openstack client being used what that installed on a controller by Fuel v9/mikata, i.e. 2.2.0.
> I’ll install 2.6.0 on my workstation and try from there.
>
> [1] also links to python-openstacksdk, which looks (more) interesting, but there too all operations are not covered.
> Don’t see much mention of domain support when clicking though the docs, so it is perhaps a major limitation if I need to work with ldap.
>
> By the looks of things though, one needs to go to the neutron CLI for certain things.
> The reference doc for using for neutron is http://docs.openstack.org/developer/python-neutronclient/ ?
> Would it be correct to say that neutron only does v2 and cannot work with domains?

neutronclient works with keystone v3 API. The document hasn't been updated yet.
Document update patch is under review https://review.openstack.org/#/c/330722/.
It may help you.

> I wonder how horizon is able to “set conext” to a domain and then operations are valid with context.

Horizon caches token information in its session store.
It is similar to keystoneauth Session object but it is a bit different
mechanism.

> Perhaps one need to just learn the API and program from there without any libraries or CLI wrappers.

While it depends on your need, generally reusing existing python
bindings will help you.

Akihiro