[Openstack] [OpenStack] Second Public IP for VM on Another Public Network does not work properly

Piotr Baranowski piotr.baranowski at osec.pl
Wed Aug 17 17:54:16 UTC 2016

----- Oryginalna wiadomość -----
> Od: "Brian Haley" <brian.haley at hpe.com>
> Do: openstack at lists.openstack.org
> Wysłane: środa, 17 sierpnia, 2016 18:53:47
> Temat: Re: [Openstack] [OpenStack] Second Public IP for VM on Another Public Network does not work properly

> On 08/17/2016 05:08 AM, Ludwig Tirazona wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> Has anybody had this experience/problem as well?
>
> I'm not sure I'd expect this to work, here is just one reason.

Brian,

Ever heard of policy based routing?

You can have multiple outbound links and use them when your traffic meets some particular criteria.

One simple example:

You have an expensive low latency link and a high latency cheap one.
You may use policy routing to automatically select which route to use.

More here:
http://blog.scottlowe.org/2013/05/29/a-quick-introduction-to-linux-policy-routing/
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-advanced-routing-tutorial

TL;DR It makes sense to have multiple uplinks.

Best regards
Piotr Baranowski
OSEC.PL