[Openstack] Heat template - get port ID of 'external' instance

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Mon Aug 1 14:53:08 UTC 2016

On 31/07/16 10:39, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> I've created a environment file:
>
>   resource_registry:
>     "OS::Nova::Server::Instance": "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/FransUrbo/Openstack-Bayour.COM/master/instance.yaml"

BTW I really wouldn't recommend using the OS:: namespace for your own
custom types.

> I then create an instance from the template:
>
>   admin_floating:
>     type: OS::Neutron::FloatingIP
>     properties:
>       floating_network_id: physical
> #      port_id: { get_attr: [admin, networks, { get_param: network }, 0, port]}
> #      port_id: { get_attr: [admin, networks, 0, port]}

You want the second one.

>   admin:
>     type: OS::Nova::Server::Instance
>     properties:
>       name: instance
>       image: { get_param: image }
>       size: 5
>       flavor: m1.2tiny
>       network: { get_param: network }

You're assuming here that doing get_attr on your provider resource will
automatically reach into the nested stack and pull out the attributes of
the resource you're thinking of - which of course would require Heat to
be clairvoyant ;)

You actually need to explicitly export the attributes you want as
outputs from the instance.yaml template, just as you defined parameters
to accept the property values. To make this a bit easier, you can get
the API to generate a template that you can modify with the command:

   heat resource-type-template -t hot -F yaml OS::Nova::Server

cheers,
Zane.