[Openstack] nova evactuate failed

yang sheng forsaks.30 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 14:20:28 UTC 2016

Hi ALL

I am currently testing openstack liberty in my centos 7 environment.

I am planning to boot vm from volume using ceph backend.

all the instances volumes are shared among all the compute nodes and I am
able to do the nova migrate and nova live-migration.

when I was testing the nova evacuate function, It failed silently. I
checked nova-compute.log in target compute node and it says
 "InvalidSharedStorage: Invalid state of instance files on shared storage"

based on the doc(
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux_OpenStack_Platform/6/html/Administration_Guide/section-evacuation.html
),
I realize that only share the volumes is not enough. The instances files
are in the local storage (/var/lib/nova/instances) by default.

According to  the docs, it setup a NFS server for the instances files and
mount to each compute node.

However, since I have already had a shared storage system (ceph), is it
doable to put these files in ceph?
or I have to setup NFS, sync these files and mount to each compute node?

thanks