[Openstack] Openstack instances with more than one block device file

Tomas Vondra vondra at czech-itc.cz
Tue Apr 26 09:26:03 UTC 2016

Robson Ramos Barreto <robson.rbarreto at ...> writes:

> Hi Guys,My environment is Juno / KVM.I wonder to know if it's possible an
openstack instance to have more than one block device file attachedI know
that is possible in libvirt attach a second disk something like:# virsh
attach-disk domain --source /path/second_disk.qcow2 --target vdb
--persistentHow could I to do this in OpenStack ?I wonder to know this
because I need to migrate VMs from the RHEV environment that has more than
one disk file configured in LVM in the root partition. =/Any help would be
much appreciatedThank you

> Regards
> Robson

Hi Robson,
I can see two possibilities:
Ephemeral disk. The ephemeral disk is a second qcow2 file by default. But it
is created empty. If you can attach the second one as a volume, you could
copy the contents over from an emergency/initrd shell.
Volumes. You can have as many as you want. If you Boot from volume and then
Attach the second volume, you have what you needed.
Tomas