[Openstack] [openstack-dev] [cross-project] [all] Quotas and the need for reservation

Vilobh Meshram vilobhmeshram.openstack at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 09:31:15 UTC 2016

Hi All,

As part of the cross project Quota library effort [1] there has been a
discussion around the need for reservations or getting rid of reservations
altogether.

It is believed that reservation help to to reserve a set of resources
beforehand and hence eventually preventing any other upcoming request
(serial or parallel) to exceed quota if because of original request the
project might have reached the quota limits.

Questions :-
1. Does reservation in its current state as used by Nova, Cinder, Neutron
help to solve the above problem ?

2. Is it consistent, reliable ?  Even with reservation can we run into
in-consistent behaviour ?

3. Do we really need it ?

Since we could not come to a conclusion and since this is a key decision
thought would take insights from the community on what (and why) they think
is a better approach.

-Vilobh

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/284454/