[Openstack] Call for mentors Outreachy Dec-March 2016

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Fri Sep 18 18:23:50 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 12:51 PM, Victoria Martínez de la Cruz <
victoria at vmartinezdelacruz.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Outreachy.
>>
>> *Applications open next September 22nd, and the deadline for applications
>> is October 27th. *https://wiki.gnome.org/Outreachy/2015/DecemberMarch
>>
>> *TLDR*
>>
>> Contributors interested on mentoring in Outreachy, please feel free to
>> ask any question and ask for further directions here or in #openstack-opw
>> in Freenode.
>>
>> Try to find and propose a task for the next couple of months for your
>> mentee. The task should be able to be finished on three months. Add this
>> idea in this wiki https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Internship_ideas.
>>
>> Please join #openstack-opw as well, to welcome applicants and help them
>> with their setups.
>>
>> Another way to get in touch is through the internships mailing list,
>> http://lists.openstack.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstack-internships
>> .
>>
>> *Mentors*
>>
>> *Time requirements*
>>
>> Being a mentor shouldn't take a lot of time from your working week.
>> Mentors from previous rounds organized differently: you can schedule a
>> weekly meeting to catch up with your mentee latest work, questions and next
>> steps; some other prefer having a daily short meeting; you choose how to
>> organize your agenda.
>>
>> Consider that different mentees will need different guidance, but we aim
>> to work with proactive and independent people. This qualities are defined
>> during the application process, so make sure to participate actively in
>> this so you make sure you get a mentee you can work with.
>>
>> *Tasks*
>>
>> Mentors are supposed to act as a channel for mentees with the rest of the
>> community. You should be able to help them understand the community
>> workflow (tools, milestones), introduce them to the team you are working
>> with (so they also have other people to learn from), help them to gain
>> confidence and participate of the weekly meetings.
>>
>> You are not supposed to teach them the basics (say, we cannot have people
>> that cannot program in Python), but you should be able to point them in the
>> right direction with the tools we use in the community and they should be
>> able to learn at their own pace.
>>
>> *Mentees*
>>
>> *Time requirements*
>>
>> It is a full-time internship, so mentees are expected to work 40 hours
>> per week in the assigned project.
>>
>> *Tasks*
>>
>> Mentees are supposed to devote their time on learning about the
>> community, getting familiar with the tools used to contribute to OpenStack,
>> understanding the basics of the code base of the project they are working
>> on and finishing the assigned task before the internship ends. They are
>> also encouraged to help with bug triaging, bug fixing and code reviewing.
>> All this should be shared in a personal blog mentees have to set up when

I'll second this call to action --  Outreachy interns have done amazing
work in our community and the mentors are highly valued community members.

I know burnout is high with our growth and expansion but I strongly
encourage you to consider the return you get from offering an intern your
time and knowledge. Plus, new perspectives and people are fun for you and
your team.

PTLs have done it in the past as well as core members, though you don't
have to be either one of those to show someone how to work with in your
project and get to know the team.

Reach out for Outreachy. :)

Anne

> Internships won't happen if we don't have enough mentors.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Victoria

Anne Gentle
Rackspace