[Openstack] Neutron add external interface to external router?

Michael Gale gale.michael at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 05:39:46 UTC 2015

Hello,

    I am running the Kilo release using os-ansible-deployment and have a
functioning OpenStack installation using VXLANs however I am running into
an issue adding an external network.

>From the Horizon interface I can create private tenant networks without an
issue and I have created an external network:
- Subnet 1.2.10.0/24
- GW 1.2.10.1
- VXLAN ID: 999

Inside OpenStack the instances can access each other and the public IP's
that exist on the external subnet however they can not access the external
subnet gateway which exist outside of OpenStack.

On the neutron agent node where I have the neutron L3 agent:
- I can see my external network interface (eth11) and it is working
- I can see a bridge device that has a VXLAN ID interface attached that
matches my external network plus 2 tap devices

If I check the network namespace I find a router exists with ports,
routers, etc and matches the Horizon Network Topology graph.

Now from my understanding I need to update /etc/neutron/l3_agent.ini and
set my external interface and that neutron will automatically add that
interface to the router when it is marked as external:
external_network_bridge = eth11

However that did not work, I was able to make it work by adding eth11 to
the bridge interface that got created:

*Neutron Node - Before change*
--snip--
brq321e79ee-60          8000.629228307545       no
 tap69cab170-04
                                                        vxlan-77
brqd8c6a159-03          8000.16ed469b44d8       no
 tap83dc2c50-ef
                                                        vxlan-999

--snip--

*Neutron Node - After change*
--snip--
brq321e79ee-60          8000.9225a6292c5c       no
 tap277296ef-97
                                                        tape55e2167-98
                                                        vxlan-77
brqd8c6a159-03          8000.00163ee12e11       no              eth11
                                                        tap124723f9-2e
                                                        tap5f9dc7ba-d6
                                                        vxlan-999

--snip--

Obviously I am missing something, any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Michael